The following 5 patients need a heart transplant:
George Mutti Age 61. Occupation: suspected mafia involvement
Married, 7 children, extremely wealthy, will donate a very large sum to the hospital after the operation.
Peter Santos Age 23. Occupation: â€œBâ€ average student
Single, studies hard, helps support poor family, aspires to be a policeman when he graduates.
Ann Doyle Age 45. Occupation: housewife
Widow, supports 3 children, small income, no savings.
Johnny Jaberg Age 35. Occupation: famous actor
Divorced, wife has custody of 2 children, donates to create shelters for the homeless.
Howard Wilkinson Age 55. Occupation: state senator
Married, one child, recently elected, financially well off.
Use utilitarian calculus to rank them in order of priority for getting the heart transplant.
Explain your rankings, using as many of the 7 factors of utilitarian calculus as you can:
1) Intensity Strength of the pleasure or pain
2) Duration How long the pleasure or pain lasts
3) Certainty How likely the pleasure or pain is to occur
4) Propinquity How soon the pleasure or pain will occur
5) Fecundity How likely the pleasure or pain is to be repeated
6) Purity How unlikely the pleasure or pain is to be followed by its opposite
7) Extent Number of people affected with the pleasure or pain