Oral Reporting and Public Speaking
This practical exercise will give you an opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far this semester.
1. Attached is a copy of the Speech Critique.
2. Using your favorite Internet search engine, conduct a search on YouTube for a graduation commencement speech (i.e. Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, President Obama, etc.) that might be of interest to you.
3. Watch and evaluate the presentation using the speech critique form, paying special attention to â€œdistractionsâ€ and â€œhighlightsâ€ of their speech.
4. Imagine you were asked by the presenter to offer constructive criticism for him/her to consider before delivering their next commencement speech. Address a one-two page formal letter (between 300-500 words) to him/her that outlines what you found to be the pros and cons of their presentation and then provide your thoughts and recommendations for him/her to consider next time.
5. Use your imagination and appropriate format for your letter and be sure it includes an Introduction, Body, and Conclusion. As a reminder, this is an upper-level undergraduate course. Therefore, your papers must be free of spelling and grammatical errors. Content and organization of content will also be a part of the grading criteria: Content: 80%, Grammar: 15%, Format organization: 5%.