“Late 20th Century African-American Artists; Postmodern Influences: Please respond to one (1) of the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Key late 20th century African-American artists included Bearden, Lawrence, Basquiat, or Colescott. Pick (2) to compare and contrast; including specific elements of the works from the chosen artists that represent the multiplicity of the African-American experience. Identify one (1) of these works discussed that you would like in your workplace, and explain why.
- Why is postmodern architecture important to current architecture developments? Choose one (1) example of architecture that you believe best exemplifies the characteristic post-modern style. Provide a rationale for your selection, and describe two (2) of the features of post-modern style that you find intriguing.
African American Artists of the Twentieth Century
- Chapter 35 (p. 1167) and Chapter 36 (p. 1180) on Jacob Lawrence
- Chapter 39 ( 1285-1286) on Romare Bearden
- Chapter 40 ( 1326-1327) on Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Jacob Lawrence, New York Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) at http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=3418
- Romare Bearden video, San Francisco’s Museum of Modern Art at http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/205
- Chapter 40 (pp. 1312-1321) for examples of post-modern architecture
- Post-modern buildings of renown: http://www.greatbuildings.com/types/styles/post_modern.html
- I also included additional architecture resources under my Instructor Insights for this week