Kansas Nebraska Act
Fugitive slave act
secession of 1860
agrarian vs. industrial Bull Run,
Robert E. Lee
war of attrition
Outline the following study questions
1. Why was compromise no longer possible in 1860 compared to earlier compromises to postpone secession?
2. How did this use of nullification compare to previous examples in US History?
3. How did the changing economy through industrialization and global trade change the political and social agenda in the US?
4. Why were abolitionists not more successful? What changed American opinions in the 19th century regarding slavery?
5. How did Manifest Destiny shape American political and economic actions between 1840-1865?