Assignment: School Age Development
Assignment: School Age Development
1. The purpose of this discussion is to consider how different specializations within counseling might address issues of school-age development. Use the readings in this unit, along with the ones you found in your own independent research, to help you think through and write about these issues.
For your initial post, choose one of the cases below and address the following in relation to that case:
- Identify the challenges that the student, family, or individual client may be experiencing, based on your specialization.
- Identify any psychosocial conflicts that may be present and the transitions related to middle childhood that may be considered.
- Choose one theory of personality development and explain how that theory helps you understand this student’s behavior.
- Describe specific ways of helping the student, family, or individual client from your professional perspective.
Tracy, 10-Year-Old Student
Tracy is a 10-year-old student who is heavily influenced by his parents regarding his academic activities. The pressure that he is receiving at home has caused him to withdraw from all pleasurable activities at school, including his passion for writing, arithmetic, and friends. He was once an A student but now is maintaining a C average. He has disengaged from regular activities and sits alone when he is not required to participate in group activities. It is known that the family has had some major stressors last year that has resulted in Tracy’s parents contemplating divorce.
Sonia, 9-Year-Old Student
Sonia is 9 years old, and she reports feeling lonely all the time. She seems to be isolated from her peers and reports feeling different from everyone around her. She says that she does not like the feeling of being vulnerable and has a hard time opening up to others. She reports hating school and only wants to stay at home with her mother. She cries every morning when her mother gets her ready for school. She will also cry each time the teacher indicates that the next upcoming subject is math. Sonia’s parents are concerned for their daughter and are unable to ask for assistance because of a language barrier.
2.The readings in this unit expand upon the concepts related to school-age children, particularly in regard to moral development, with insights from the varied specializations within counseling.
Your text discusses moral development on pages 249–261 and provides some situations encountered by children in this age group that would create moral dilemmas within their lives. Based on this section of Chapter 7, develop a situation that would include a moral dilemma that is likely to be faced by an individual in early school age or middle childhood with whom you might be working in a counseling setting.
The moral dilemma can be fictional or nonfictional. In your post, describe how Kohlberg would describe the stage of moral development in the situation you have created. Additionally, discuss one other theorist or theory (learning theory, cognitive developmental theory, psychoanalytic theory, or object relations theory) and how the theorist or theory explains the stage of moral development in your situation.
According to these theorists, is the child at an age-appropriate stage? What factors would each theorist use to assess moral development in this situation?
Use the following coupon code :
The post Assignment: School Age Development appeared first on NursingPaperSlayers.