Critical thinking 6 HR
Assignment Choice #1: Case 10.1 Money Doesnâ€™t Buy Happiness. Well, on Second Thought . . .
Read Case 10.1 in Managing Human Resources. After reading the case, please complete the following items:
- Write a summary of the case,
- Answer the critical thinking questions, and
- Elaborate on two key learnings from the case related to trends in employee benefits, legal implications, and cost-containment strategies. Be sure to clearly state the two key learnings and defend them in well-organized, scholarly responses.
A key learning is defined as significant knowledge gained from reading the case. You may choose to explain your key learnings by offering a real-world application, personal insight, your thoughts and opinions about what was stated, how it is handled at your company, etc.
Please arrange your summary, questions, and key learnings in a well-organized, scholarly response of 2-3 pages. Support your observations and opinions with citations from 2-3 credible sources documented according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
Money Doesnâ€™t Buy Happiness. Well,
on Second Thoughtâ€¦
This article talks about peoples happiness with regards to how rich or poor they are individually and how wealthy their country is. A good suggestion was made by two Brits as they stated that â€œGovernmentâ€™s policy goals should focus less on growing GPD and more on improving measures that directly affect happinessâ€. People in wealthier countries report more happiness than those in poorer countries. Comparing Denmark and Zimbabwe the Danes have social welfare policies directed toward some of the most salient concerns of families their health care for the aged and child care and they are happier. They have a set of public policies that deal immediately with peoples fundamental concerns. Itâ€™s not all about the money. But if you ask me it helps immensely.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. What do you think is the role of money as a determinant of a personâ€™s satisfaction at work and with life in general? Should organizations worry about this issue? Explain.
2. Do you think an emphasis on financial incentives is good or bad? Explain.
3. How do you communicate to a workforce that isnâ€™t created equally? How do you treat a workforce in which everyone has a different deal? What effect do you think this trend toward greater pay inequality will have on employeesâ€™ satisfaction with their pay, their job, and life in general?